Had a public meeting about identity cards yesterday. All the speakers (Shami Chakrabarti, George Galloway, MP, Lynne Featherstone, MP, Dominic Grieve, QC MP, and the Rt Hon Tony Benn) were really good and I shook Tony Benn’s hand! I’d not realised how good a public speaker (if a little shouty) George Galloway is, either. But all went very well.
On top of that, it would seem we’re actually scaring people at the Home Office. Apparently, we have under half a million illegal immigrants in the UK. The Home Office doesn’t seem to put much note that this is only a fifth of the relative quantity the US has, nor that identity cards won’t fix that. Indeed, a NAO report by the Comptroller and Auditor-General, last June, suggested that the government could reinstate visa control at the point of entry for just £27 million, potentially a thousandth of the cost of the identity cards proposals. The phrase “clutching at straws” springs to mind…
Spent most of Saturday in and out of hospitals, trying to get my earache sorted. Apparently I have a middle-ear infexion, which is pissing me off. Finished my course of antibiotics earlier today. Since then, just been busy with work, really: all a bit dull, but not too stressful.
Some of these are a bit old, but thought I’d clear them out of my Inbox:
- B3ta’s phallic logo award
- Das Keyboard, what ninjæ would use. ’cept they don’t make one cleft in twain, like I prefer. And I think real ninjæ would use the DX1.
- Fast Film, an animation short, made from stills captured from 300 other films
- Yet another reason to hate Céline Dion
- The EFF have put together a guide to defamation and intellectual property law for bloggers, which could be worth a read. It’ll almost certainly be US law, but LJ is based in the US, so that works out… :o)
- Scientists have created a new model for time travel
- Ever wanted to see all the Futurama taglines
- Anyone for Monopoly™? Or Taxi Art (apparently won’t work in Firefox)?
- Anyone for some Evening Standard Doom and Gloom?
- Durex dickerations
- Belatèd Schadenfreude from Glasto
- The LapJuicer
- Keep your privates private
- Wikipedia coolness, including WikiAnimate
- Save toby!, though PayPal have shut them down. Hur
<!– li>The best use of eBay ever. Read the price, read the description.</li –>
And a crap joke
Friendship among women: One doesn’t come home one night and tells her boyfriend that she spent the night with a female friend of hers. Her boyfriend calls ten of her friends and noone knows a thing.
Friendship amongst men: Same thing happens: a man says he spent the night at a friend’s place. His girlfriend calls ten of his friends. Eight confirm he has been there and the two others say he’s still there.